Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I've Got To Change This... And NOW!

I have a personal policy where I agree to participate in every sport or activity I'm helping my students with. Up until now, it's been pretty ABC kind of stuff... Basketball, tennis, baseball, golf, volleyball, swimming, surfing, dieting, and I actually took an aerobics class. Thank goodness, the 90's had passed, otherwise I would've been stuck wearing the tight black spandex in that little adventure. I created this policy to make myself feel what they're feeling, even if it's just for a day. I've been lucky enough to play most all sports, and a few very competitively, so I've had the opportunity to feel many different forms of pressure.

Nothing to date has ever bothered me much, with the exception of having to duck out of the way of a fast ball coming at my head in the high 80 mph range... that made me prove I was potty trained. Oh, and maybe the shake diet I participated in made me drool for a Rib Eye a bit, but overall, it's been fine.

This next one, I must admit, is making me wish I didn't care how my students felt. I'm having a really hard time figuring out how I'm going to do it. My newest client's choice of sport is... wait for it... hang gliding! Are you kidding me?! Hang-freakin-gliding!! If you knew me, you'd know I'm not too fond of heights above my couch. Changing a light bulb from the ceiling makes me second guess myself, so this jumping-off-a-cliff-and-trying-not-to-fall-to-my-death thing has me a little worried.

Why did I ever create such a stupid, stupid policy?


12 comments:

Erica said...

what a fabulous attitude. where is your conquer your fears and positive thinking? nothing is stopping you from jumping off the cliff besides your fear of doing so..

putting yourself out of your comfort zone is why you created that SMART policy.

Dayne Gingrich said...

Leave it up to you...

My daughter's only year and half.

Plus... those cliffs are high! ;-)

Bruce Coltin said...

I would opt for a simulation, if I were you. Maybe a 3-D movie?

Olivia said...

Oh wow, I WISH I could take your place. I am also terrified of heights...but if I could feel the sensation of flying I would force myself to get over it.

Good luck. I know you can do it! Don't let fear get in the way of a once in a lifetime experience :)

Sarah said...

Can't you do an indoor rock climbing and call it even?

kelsey Chesterfield said...

can i come? :)

Matty said...

I seem to remember a post way back about fear. Sounds like someone needs to go back and re-read what they wrote.

80 some MPH fastball? Been there, done that.

Superfluous Brunette said...

Sounds like a great policy! And it seems you are living up to it.

It sounds like fun, let us know how it goes!

Dayne Gingrich said...

I know I need to face this fear head-on... and I will, SOMEHOW, or I won't teach her.

How can I help her with what she needs if I'm unwilling to experience the similar situation?!

But... the cliffs are so dang high!!!!

Bendigo said...

Ah...the very reason I chose not to join any form of air recon in the military...I totally understand where you are coming from...BUT.....You have to be about the most mentally tough person on the block...I'm quite sure you will overcome this as you have everything else...Luck!

Retta said...

I totally agree with Bendigo... I know, without a doubt, you will do this. Zero doubts.

You are just being honest, now, about the feelings you are working through, and will come out the other side to have this amazing adventure.

And wow, what a post THAT will be. I hope you take a camera with you!

Melting Candy said...

Look at it this way, you have so many other things under your belt, this will just add to the list.

You don't want to look back and regret that you didn't give it a try. Besides like everyone else has been saying in so many words... practice what you preach.... get over that fear! You will be fine, and watch you will want to do it again (=