Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Game-Changing Opportunity


There are times in our lives where we're presented with special opportunities - the type of opportunity that, if taken, can change our current path. I was blessed with such an opportunity Wednesday morning at 7:30. Motivational speaker, Eric Thomas, voice of How Bad Do You Want It and author of The Secret To Success, blocked time for me to call him. I found Eric on YouTube last year, loved his passion and "don't talk about it, be about it" attitude. Not only did I love his style, but he instantly became an example of the 1% Success model I use with my students.

Eric was a high school dropout and homeless for a period of time, yet still found a way to make a decision to not only get his 4 year degree, but also a Masters, and is currently working on a PHD. THIS is 1%. This is the picture I convey to my students when they tell me, "It's too difficult." Ask Eric about difficult ... then take a look at his resume, how far he's come, and where he's going.

To say the least, I was excited to talk with him, pick his brain, and especially listen to his dedication and intensity for success. The man has infectious passion and makes you believe that nothing but YOU can stop you. He gave me 30 minutes of pure knowledge and experience because he simply wanted to help, not because he expected anything in return. This opportunity was game-changing for me, and I will not waste those valuable minutes he shared. 

Be aware of every opportunity that comes your way, and take advantage of each one. Some are small, others are life-changing, but every one is meaningful and plays a role in your development. Your goals can only be attained after the manifestation of many dedicated and committed actions. Live with the 1% mentality.

No comments: