Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Look Who Stopped By...


Dear You,

Let me introduce myself - my name is Pain!

I come in many different shapes, sizes, tastes, and visuals. I don't need to explain how powerful I am because you already know. You probably cringe at the simple mention of my name, which unknowingly to you, allows me to dominate your world. Most of you spend every waking moment running from me; hiding behind corners, hoping I won't find you... but as always, I do.

Mental Pain, emotional Pain, physical Pain, past Pain, Pain from worrying about future Pain... pick your poison, it doesn't matter - I'm always somewhere in your day.

What you don't realize, though, is that most of my power comes from the energy you spend trying to avoid me. The more time you invest worrying about how NOT to feel me, the more powerful I become. Every minute you take out of your day running from me, the stronger my hold becomes - the tighter my grip feels, both mentally and physically. Thank goodness you don't understand this important fact, because if you did, I'd be rendered useless. If you knew how much power you actually have in the face of me, Pain, your life would instantly change. Eventually, your worries of me would vanish, leaving you with all the strength. Until that day, I'll keep showing my face, hoping you never get it.

My strength comes in numbers. The more who fear me, the heavier I become on your minds, creating a negative cycle, difficult to change. You see, I rely on you NOT caring enough about becoming strong, positive, and confident... because if you did, I wouldn't have the staying-power. I'd come-and-go like a prick from a needle. My hope is that you'll tell another you how difficult it is to accomplish your goals due to all the Pain you feel. This will eventually start a "pity party" amongst you, creating another cycle of pain, cementing my hold on your future.

Why do I write to you? Maybe to taunt, maybe to educate and dare you to change... you choose. Your answer will dictate your next move.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

i'm in pain right now as i have a website coding problem i couldn't figure out. but i know it will be GREAT once i solve it!

Dayne Gingrich said...

Pain comes in all shapes, doesn't it? Sometimes, it begs us to quit... other times it fuels are passions.

Retta said...

Sitting here with my mouth hanging open..
All I can say is Wow!

I've never thought about it like that. Very powerful stuff, Dayne!

I need to re-read this a few times, soak it in, and do some thinking.

Thank you so much!
Loretta
=^..^=

Dayne Gingrich said...

Loretta,

I'm glad this made you think a little. My wife read it, and had a "strange" reaction too. She liked it, but was thrown off ... trying to comprehend Pain talking to her like this!

Hope you come back and tell us how you're doing w/ it.

Dayne

Powdered Toast Man said...

I laugh in the face of pain then I get a sharp pinch in my side. Touche pain.

I block you from my other blog because I made it private. Nothing against you. It's just for my fiancee to read.

Unknown said...

'Daring' someone to change is a really good motivator. Through my illness I realised I had become almost comfortable with it - as silly as that sounds - but it was all I knew for 4 years and you know how us humans get scared of change - so although I hated being ill I was quite scared of being well again.

Dayne Gingrich said...

Being sick, broke, bored, depressed for long enough... we'll get used to it - almost expect it, never seeing past it.

Moving forward and creating the new is very scary. Even though we know "new" would be better, we often are too afraid to take the necessary steps to get there.

Comfortable, even when it sucks, is still Comfortable.

New, even when it's better, is still New!

Calli said...

Always a poignant read here, Dayne.
Seeing pain in this way is eye opening.

So good to see you~ Hope you and your family are doing well.

~Calli