Monday, May 10, 2010

Oh Woe Is Me...

"She said it will be too hard for me, so I have to be realistic... I probably won't make it."


"It's not really bothering me, but if I was good enough, wouldn't people be on my side?"


(With slumped shoulders) "Whatever... I'll just do what I can."


(My all time favorite) "I know I can't. Why try?"

How do you spell D-E-F-E-A-T-E-D?

There's nothing sadder than a defeated mindset, especially when it comes from someone who's worked so hard for her goal. It's easy to say we "want" something... action in the face of adversity will always be the key to whether we achieve that something or not.

This is why I talk so much to my students about the 99% / 1% rule: 99% talk... only 1% do something about it!

We'll only reach the 1% if we're willing to do what most won't... and that's simply about getting up, brushing off our pain, embarrassment, disappointment, or whatever else is keeping us from our next level. Everyone "fails," but only 1% embrace that failure, understanding it's the biggest key to success we have. 99% view failure as the END... 1% see failure as an opportunity to find a better way.

So... to the defeated mind above: You only have two options:
1)Quit.
2)Punch back with unwavering belief in yourself.

99 or 1?

15 comments:

Retta said...

"...action in the face of adversity will always be the key to whether we achieve that something or not."

What a powerful statement!!

You didn't just say "action will always be the key..." Rather, you said "action in the face of adversity will always be the key..."

I want to remember that. And I want to be one of the 1%.

Excellent post, thank you.
Loretta
=^..^=

Unknown said...

You're welcome, Loretta.

You are working towards that 1% for sure!! You're an example for all who want to do... rather than simply say.

Dayne Gingrich said...

woops... that was supposed to be me (above).

spldbch said...

I couldn't agree more!

Bendigo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bendigo said...

poor typing skills today (sorry)

Great Post (as usual)

It is definitely a struggle to get into that 1% but then isn't something worthwhile surely worth a struggle....

My desk posts grow by 1 :)

Dayne Gingrich said...

I think "struggle" may even be to light a word.

It's downright brutal, which is why only 1% live there. It takes a never ending desire to reach that next level because more than not, there will be an obstacle around every corner.

Keep on chipping away, one moment at a time...

Retta said...

"It's downright brutal, which is why only 1% live there. It takes a never ending desire to reach that next level because more than not, there will be an obstacle around every corner."

Fodder for a new post!!

I really appreciate your honesty... you don't candy-coat it, or try to make it sound easier than it really is. You tell the day-to-day, how it really is in the real world truth. Yet, still manage to make it sound doable, if one really wants it.

I look forward to more...
Loretta
=^..^=

Dayne Gingrich said...

Thanks, Loretta.

Sugar-coating won't help anyone, and eventually comes back to bite us all.

I think a "lack of honest" may be a reason many don't reach their goals... they tend to lie to themselves about much of the process, and what it'll truly take.

Because "it" (whatever that means to you) is so difficult, having an intense passion and an honest, straightforward approach is the only way we'll ever touch the top.

Thanks for your kind words, as always!

Dayne

Bendigo said...

I think you are right a lack of honesty to ourselves is in my opinion the #1 reason...I can't say I'm in that 1% YET...But dang it, that doesn't mean I'm giving up... I think you might be right, "struggle" might be too light, but it is constant...

Dayne Gingrich said...

"...not in the 1% YET."

Most don't even consider "yet."

Phil-theincredibleshrinkingman said...

can you spell E-Y-E O-P-E-N-E-R

Great post

yanmaneee said...

golden gooses sneakers
off white
louboutin shoes
yeezy boost
supreme clothing
air max 97
yeezy boost 350
supreme
balenciaga
adidas ultra

retishen said...

vous pouvez vérifier ici acheter des répliques sacs en ligne passez sur ce site Web répliques de sacs de haute qualité découvrir cette info ici répliques de sacs haut de gamme

Unknown said...

m7l40m2d41 y7q26p6o57 j7d39e3w85 l3q30h7m94 s9s82o8o60 w9s71c9y77